Sunday, May 17, 2009

Spring Garden Report

We have our garden planted- if you don’t have yours in, do it soon. It’s finally time for even the tomatoes.

We went to the Wasatch Community Garden Plant sell and followed it up with the Living Green festival and came home with all our plants. One day I will try peppers and tomatoes from seed, but I am not ready for that yet. Especially considering how easy and fun it is to buy heirloom varieties at the local plant sales. I ran into three people I know and met some interesting others. We waited in line with one of the new owners of Calcium Springs Farm. Check them out here http://calciumspringsfarm.com/default.aspx They are one of the newest CSA’s in the area, located in Parleys Canyon.

Unfortunately we lost one already- we forgot to put the bird netting up and they got the fish pepper. It was just small enough to be tempting, but apparently they didn’t like it as they spit it back out. We have never tried fish peppers- which are white and on the hot side when fully grown. We were planning to try a white version of our wedding day love salsa. We picked up a white tomato and with some tomatillos- but oh well, maybe next year. Or maybe if you get some nice fish peppers from your garden you will share? They are an heirloom variety and you can’t expect to find them at wall mart. We did try replanting the poor thing but it was too late.

One of our ‘experiments’ this year is dry beans. We are trying black beans and a mottled red that is like a pinto. The red- Vermont cranberry- sprouted quickly enough so we are feeling hopeful.

We plan to expand the garden again this year with a long box, about 4’X 12’ but we are not planning to have that one ready to plant for this season. I also want to make a compost box.

Our to do list for licensing is getting shorter:
1. Screen Wood Stove
a. Figure out how to screen wood stove affordably
2. Medication and Chemicals
a. Install magnet locks
3. Verification of Health, life and Auto insurance
a. Figure out how to verify Brian’s health insurance (in process)
b. Get life insurance (in process)
4. Fire extinguisher?

The biggest problem now is screening the wood stove. I have come up with three options, one is ugly, one is expensive and one is difficult. Wish us luck!

3 comments:

Mandos said...

I'm always so impressed with your garden! Good luck with your beans.

Your list is getting shorter! Yeah! I have no idea's on your stove issue. But I will continue to keep my eye's open to possible solutions.
Love ya!

Monica said...

O.k. so I think a bird got to our watermellon plant. Do they eat just the leaves? Because that is all it was. A leaf. We are actually starting to get some sprouts coming out on some of our veggies. It is exciting!

Marnie said...

Hurray for gardens! Some of my corn is starting to come up, I have a green pepper growing, stawberries, and I think I finally saw some peas, starting. However, I think it is getting too hot for my spinach. It was fine a couple days ago, and almost looking like I could eat some, but it is now shriveled. Oh well!