Sunday, August 2, 2009

Doesn’t add up to a hill of beans

One of our garden experiments this year has been dry or field beans. We tried a variety of kidney and a black bean. We tired just one square of each, that’s what you do with an experiment, start small and see how it goes. We planted with visions of homemade chili made with our very own beans.


As an experiment it was a great success. I harvested our beans yesterday. They were easy and grew well without much fuss. They dried nicely and are lovely if I do say so.

As a harvest, I have to say I am not sure if this was a grand idea. You can see how well we did. These are quart jars for scale. We may have just over a cup if we put them together.


I don’t know how much space we would have to dedicate to beans to get a real harvest, but at least a 4X4 box, maybe more.


We will have to think about this one.


Our corn is also ready to harvest! Unfortunately because we were not thinking when we planted it, it is all ready now. We didn’t like the frozen corn on the cob we tried last year so I will need to find a different preservation method. Any suggestions?

5 comments:

Amy and Mike said...

Your beans are beautiful, probably not enough for a BIG batch of chili, maybe you can get more next year. Good luck with your corn as well.

Mandos said...

You are becoming quite the gardener. Now, you need to rub off on to me!

Conner knocked over one of our corn stacks. He thinks there big toys! Puppies!

Marnie said...

Can you come work in my garden? I think I need some help, my potato plants are dying, does that mean they are ready to eat? My corn finally has tassels, but no corn. Does that mean that I am not going to get any?

Monica said...

I'm glad that you got some beans. Our beans never grew. I'm not much of the preserver. But I know in Tennessee they canned their corn. I'm not sure what the process is, but I'm sure you can look it up.

Mom in Orem said...

I am so proud of your garden. Grandma Coombs would be asking so many questions and be bragging on you!