Wednesday, December 16, 2009

One kid, two kid, red fish blue fish....

I was just wondering if I would ever ‘get the call’ from DCFS telling us that they had a child they would like to place in our home. This is not unusual, I think about it at least 20 times a day. So it is surprising that when I answered the phone and the woman on the other end said she was from DCFS my first thought was ‘oh no, what’s wrong’ and not ‘whoo hoo a kid for us.’

We have agreed to one child. She had two and wondered if we would take them. Of course I had to at least ask. The thought of kids in the house for Christmas, the fact that this is the first call after months on the list, and the fear that she would never call again was enough to risk the wrath of Brian. In the past he has all but lost his cool every time I bring up the subject.

No, there are not two little angels on their way to our home tonight, but we have agreed to talk about it. I think two would be easier, and it while it might be fun to grow up as an only, it would be too sad as an adult. He thinks two would be too much time, too many expenses, and while I assure him otherwise, I think he is worried that I will take after my mom and keep going.

So give us your honest thoughts on the subject- one kid or two? What’s best for the child(ren)? What’s best for the marriage? What are the pros? What are the cons?

Thanks for your help!

6 comments:

Amy and Mike said...

Oh wow, I wish I could give good advice from experience. I think it might be nice for the kids to have someone else that they are in the same boat with. What are the ages? I'm sure there are a lot of pro's and con's with just one or two. That must be such a hard decision that has to ultimatley be made by you and Brian, but we will keep you in our prayers and we are excited to have any new members in the family. Good Luck!

Mandos said...

You two will figure this out. There is no right or wrong choice. One or two? either way it is going to be an amazing ride for you both!!! That said.... I can't imagine my life with out my three girls. or my sisters (Or bothers :))!!!!

Monica said...

This is exciting one way or another. Whether you decide to take on the two, or wait for one. The pros and cons really depend on the children I think. Like if they are the same sex or not, or age differences. I personaly love having more than one because they always have someone to play with. However, they also always have someone to fight with. The cost difference really isn't that much for me. It sounds like you have some praying and figuring out to do. This is a huge decision. I know you'll make the right choice.

ScoundrelLV said...

It is a hard decision. I think you will do what is best for the two of you. I just know that an only child is a delight and a handful. Sarah was an only child until 9 months ago. It was great to have one on one time, but she also wanted us to be her playmates too. I think it is important to have siblings. You learn so much of life lessons early on that you don't really get as an only child. But on the other hand because you are not competing for attention, I think an only child can grow and mature in other ways. But every child is different along with there needs. Sarah loves having a sister. I think it has been an adjustment for her, and not always pleasant but it is good here. We will pray for you. If you have a little girl, I know a place where you can get some extra clothes. Some with the tags still on.

Mom in Orem said...

I know you and Brian will make the right decision. You are extraordinarily compassionate and bright individuals. I love you and can't wait to love another grandchild! or two!

Monster Headphones said...

I like keeping up with them this way.
Monster Headphones