Saturday, April 11, 2009

Up in our Grill




Conversations we had many times in Cancun:
Where you from?
Utah
Blank stare
Salt Lake?
Oh yes, I love your Jazz!
Insert pithy comment about music from Brian
Blank Stare






Whats your name?
Mirinda
MirAAAnda?
No, Mirinda, like the soda
Oh yes, Mirrrinda, very nice.








You buy?
NO
How much you pay? Give me fair price?
X US
No, Seniority, this hand made! Worth XXX pasos.
How much US?
You give me fair price, I sell cheep.
X US
But Hand Made!
No gracias, no buy.



So I always thought it was so cute that every spring the Denos family got a bird’s nest in there barbeque. The kids got to see the eggs and the baby birds. How sweet! Not sweet at all I think now.

The problem is either I am cheep or they just don’t make good grill covers. It seems like every 9-15 months we have to buy a new cover for our barbeque grill. When the last one died I swore we would not just go to the orange box or the blue box and get another one that would fall apart. I decided I would find a good one that would last or make one myself. Like many of my good intentions, it ended up on the project list and I never got around to it.

A few days ago, we went to grill some burgers and found the beginnings of nest in the grill. Not seeing the actual birds or any eggs, we cleaned it out and made dinner. Two days latter the nest was back, bigger then before!



We went to the blue box and I made Brian pick out the “BEST” cover he could find. We will see if it lasts longer than a year.

First Aid Kit contents for Licensing:
Quick reference first aid manual
Surgical Soap
Sterile Guaze pads
Scissors
Tweezers
Assorted band aids
Flexible Gauze Bandages
Cotton
Tongue blades
Cotton swabs
Bandage tape
Thermometer
Rubber gloves
Ace bandage
Alcohol wipes
Safety pins.

I heard about this great place that sells cheep medical supplies. Not wanting to spend more then I needed on the above items not already in the house, I went to find it. I mean really, if any of you actually have ALL those items on hand, at this moment, I will make you a pie.
Of course I got lost and ended up coming across an accident. A motorcycle, a car and a van. The police had yet to arrive and the motercyler was lying in the road with his bike just off him yelling into a cell phone that he didn’t know the address, and no, he couldn’t look around. There were a few pg13 words added. The van driver was sobbing, and the car driver was directing traffic away from the guy in the road. Just as I was trying to figure out what to do the police showed up and took over so I left- to get my first aid supplies. Ironic.


But it got me thinking about not living my life by accident, living more intentionally. It is so hard for me to live in the moment. To live each hour on purpose. I am not sure how to change that. I often find myself lying in the middle of the proverbial road, on my back yelling that I don’t know where I am. First aid supplies for life are a bit more difficult to purchase.

5 comments:

Mom in Orem said...

I enjoyed reading your blog. I thought I would win that pie but I don't have a thermometer. What an experience with the car accident. I hope everyone was alright, and glad it wasn't you!

Mandos said...

I have everything but the Surgical Soap!:) I hate seeing scary accidents!
I love the comments about Mexico. I like how they didn't get Brian's jokes! I bet it made them even more funny to the two of you!

Marnie said...

Hey, I have everything but the surgical soap too! We are all so prepared :) I think you should bake a big family pie! Sorry about the accident though. Loved hearing the conversations from Cancun.

Holly said...

LOL! I have never been one for birds nests even in my hanging plants...ever since I watched a baby bird (I'm talking BABY) was tormented by one of our dogs.

Monica said...

Loved the nest! That's kinda funny. Loved the things most said in Cancun. So we have a big first aid kit we put together for our Seventy two hour survival bags, and all those things are in it plus more, even I.V's. It's pretty thourough. That's Al for you.