Wednesday, September 17, 2008

This and that in September


We had a great day on Brian’s birthday. We went to the Monet to Picasso exhibit at the U and it was amazing. I love the impressionists and to see the actual brush strokes was so fun. I love how close up all you can see is the brush strokes and dots and as you move away, the details, light and shadow reveal themselves. Brian was impressed by the one Dahli they had. We also tried a sushi place that Brian had wanted to check out. It was yummy but I always think that sushi is overpriced.
As a gift I dyed my hair red. He missed that time when I went crazy and dyed my hair all sorts of colors. He likes it and so do I so I think I will keep it for a while. Andrea is a genius with color!
We also were able to get a tree cut down. It was dead and I didn’t think it would stand through the winter. We had just finished moving two loads of rocks to the front corner project and this guy came up and offered to take it down for a reasonable fee. We helped and kept the wood and now we will have fires for the fall and winter.
I am now finished with pickle fest 2008. I tried out 6 different pickle recipes and we will have a tasting in mid December when the last batch is ready. It is a good thing too as I am almost out of jars. I am hoping we will find one we really like and I will get rid of the other recipes.
It has been so fun to experiment with preserving our harvest. Last year we had enough stuff grow in our garden that we could actually taste a thing or two. This year we have had enough to save a bit. I froze corn on the cob. We tried it on the grill and Brian didn’t like the texture. We will try boiling it to see if it makes a difference. If not I will be glad that I only froze a handful of ears.
We went to the state fair with some friends and I think if we have luck with chickens next year we will be looking into bees. The buzzing, pollinating, honey making kind, not the baseball team. One thing at a time however, we are still waiting for chickens to be legal. We are planning our coop however so I guess you could say we are counting our chickens before they hatch. :)

5 comments:

Holly said...

Nice hair...rrrrrr! ;) (Think of a Lion growling...LOL!) LOVES! Happy belated B day Brian. :)

Mandos said...

Happy Birthday Brian! I'm glad you guys had a nice day.
I think it's fun to change your hair. It makes you feel good. You are so beautiful!

Marnie said...

Such a busy month. You will have to tell me how the corn turns out. I love the bee idea!

Monica said...

Happy late B-day Brian. It sounds like a good day. I'm proud of you guys for growing your garden. So lot's of pickles. I think that's a great idea to try lots of recipes to find the one you like. Did you keep the different recipes separate so you know wich one came from what recipe. Good luck with it.

Amy and Mike said...

Nice hair Myndie. It's always nice to have a fun change. We wish we were there for the pickle taste testing. The Monet/Picasso exhibit would have been amazing. I'm glad you guys were able to go. P.S. Happy Birthday Brian!! We love you guys.