Thursday, December 18, 2008

Commencement

Tonight we graduated from the foster care classes and now have only “Packet B” before we can have our home study and be licensed to adopt.

What a rollercoaster this class has been as it prepares us for the real ride we are about to begin. My thoughts and feeling have completely changed over the 32 hours. If I can sum it up in one sentence, there are a lot of kids out there that need to be loved back to happily ever after.

I am no longer resentful of the piles of paperwork, the hours of classes, and the personal examination. If the hoops we have to jump through prevent one kid from being taken from a bad situation to another bad situation it is worth it.

I also feel that if the first child that comes to our home, does not end up being our daughter that I will just be honored for the opportunity to love her and help bring about what is best for her.
I went into this wanting. Wanting to do whatever ridiculous dance I had to do to get my daughter. I just wanted my kid. I was hungry to be a parent.

Now I just feel so full of love and hope for not only the children that need foster and adoptive parents, but for their parents.

Before I felt nothing but negativity, contempt and hatred, for anyone who would dare harm a child, but especially someone who could hurt, or allow to be hurt, their own flesh. Now I have a greater sympathy for those that have their child removed from them. Before the classes I felt nothing but heroism for the opportunity to save a child. Now I feel so sad for the loss the child will suffer at being torn from the only parent they know, no matter what a monster that parent may be.

I am sure this peace will not last. I know I will be annoyed as I learn to live with locks on cupboards and doors. I know I will be impatient as the process continues. I know I will be angry as I learn what someone has done to a child I love. But I am so grateful for this deep, emotional, understanding. I am grateful for this education.

5 comments:

Holly said...

Hang in there! I love you and and know that the over load of paper work is preparing you too! ;)

Mandos said...

You both are amazing people! I love the attitude you have.

Amy and Mike said...

It sounds like you are finding some really good insights from this experience, and that it will be a blessing to you both in ways that you probably never imagined.

Monica said...

I'm so glad you will be there to help these children. Knowing that you may help just one child is comforting.

Marnie said...

Hurray for being done with classes! Hurray for insight that will bless not only you in this process, but the children you will help!