Sunday, December 7, 2008

Painting or Fishing????

I was originally going to make an entry about how the painting of the living is going, which is going OK. But I am sure you'd find that boring as, well drying paint.
So then I thought I'd post a little story about something I know everyone would enjoy reading about, I am talking about fly fishing.
As most of our fair readers know I only began fly fishing a little more than a year ago and caught my first fish ever, shortly after I began. If you look hard enough, you'll see that first fish in my hands, it's quite a monster fish I know, but you have to start somewhere. Right?!
























There's a lot to learn about fly fishing, and I have learned a lot in the past year but not enough or the right things to catch any fish at all. I must emphasize that the primary objective of fishing is catching fish, as well as enjoying time outdoors, and I must say that there are many great places to do both here in Utah. My fishing adventures this past year have taken me to some places in the great state of Utah that I hadn't seen before, Diamond Fork Canyon, where I caught that first monster brown trout, to UM Creek and the Freemont River in Sevier county to a few places that I had known otherwise but had never thought of as a place to fish like the Weber and Provo rivers. But then there's the Green river, which can be compared to Moab from my former outdoors activity. The first thing you'll notice when you are at the Green river, is that the water is very clear, I have often heard the term "gin clear" used many times when describing the water of the Green river, which I think is a great comparison. I am only really talking about the part of the Green river that comes out of the dam at Flaming Gorge at the tiny town of Dutch John, I know there's a lot more to the Green river, because it starts somewhere in Wyoming and ends when it joins the Colorado river somewhere in between Flaming Gorge and Moab to the south. One of the other amazing things about this part of the Green is that there are so many fish, I have often heard it put in terms like "20,000, 10,000 or so fish per square mile, I don't to what extent that figure is accurate, but there are a lot of fish and because the water is as clear as it is, you can see them very well as you float over head. When I was the there yesterday, I caught 10 of those thousands of fish, which I might add, increased my overall caught fish total 1000%. You do the math on that.. ;-)


















So if you are looking to do some epic fishing, head to the Green river. If you want to do some painting, come on over, we've got plenty of rollers and brushes to go around.
Brian

PS, My photography group has a new book out, SL7: Time Machine, check it out now!
You may remember our last book and exhibit, where there were six of us, well now there are eight of us!

3 comments:

Mandos said...

Great Pic Bryan! I love your first fish every. that's great.

Monica said...

Sounds like fun! So you've improved quite a bit. We'll have to go to green river some time. Maybe my husband and kids will have some success too.

Alvaro G. Ramirez III said...

I can always read stories on fishing. I will definately have to try fishing the Green next year with Sam. I'll take the camper and maybe do some camping while I'm at it.