Sunday, December 14, 2008

It really is coming to an end...



I was awarded the Meritorious Service Medal, just as I thought I would be the other day, how it happened caught me off guard a little bit though. As you may know I am on my final leave from my mobilization, which means I don't have to wear the uniform or shave for that matter. I needed to see the doctor at work, because I needed a form signed by a doctor for the foster care licensing packet so I went in to work. I hadn't shaved and if you have seen me lately you'll know that I am growing a goatee for a bit, and the shirt I was wearing wasn't the cleanest shirt in the world. When I got there it about for the weekly staff brief, which I knew about obviously, but wasn't expecting to stay for, until the first sergeant saw me. He asked me if I could stay for the briefing, because he had an award for me, I kind of had an idea what it was when he pulled out all of the boxes and envelopes from his desk. I was more expecting to receive the Meritorious Service Medal, from what will be my Guard unit and not from this unit, but I think that getting it from this unit makes it more special. Even though I have a short commitment remaining to the Guard, getting this medal really leads to me to believe that my commitment to the military will be coming to an end after all, which is what I want.

The citation reads:
For exceptional meritorious service to the Utah National Guard. You have served faithfully in many positions of great responsibility ad have earned the trust and respect of those whom you served. Your tenure as a mentor, leader and friend of the Guard is seen in the many Soldiers who emulate your leadership qualities. You are a professional who continually sets and enforces high standards. Your actions and professionalism are in keeping with the finest traditions of the military service.

WOW huh!?
If you look at the site for the Meritorious Service Medal, you'll see a small list of some well known recipiants, I know there are many, many more fine men and women who have also been awarded the Meritorious Service Medal, it's really a honor to been awarded it and have served our great contry for all these years.

In addition the Meritorious Service Medal, there were a few other documents and what not, but there was one that was equally as important and that was the certificate of appreciation for Mirinda. It's often been said that the second hardest job in the military is that of the spouse, which very true and Mirinda and I have been very fortunate since we've been together that I have been able to come home most every night.
Thanks for being the best wife any service member could ever ask for Mirinda!


Since I am talking about military awards, I want to let you know about 10 soldiers who were awarded the Silver Star recently. These 10 soldiers are the epitomy of what it means to be a Soldier.
Silver Star record for unit in Afghan cliff clash

2 comments:

Amy and Mike said...

Congratulations! What an honor and you deserve it.

Monica said...

Congrats Brian!