Sunday, January 11, 2009

Cool Stuff

5 weeks and counting- that is 5 weeks that Brian will be employed with no sign of a job thereafter. I am going back and forth between peace and panic. Mostly I am just trying to think carefully about every dollar we spend. No we don’t need to get the windshield fixed. Yes we do need to go out to dinner this weekend. Yup, priorities are in place.

So I have found some cool ways to save/spend money and I wanted to pass them along

· Free seeds! On December 31st the Peoples Market is sponsoring a seed swap. These are not commercially produced seeds and many are heirloom varieties. 5:00 p.m. at Sorensen Unity Center 1307 South 900 West. You don’t need to bring seeds to leave with seeds.
· Cheep dinner! The Old Spaghetti Factory is turning 40. The next three Monday and Tuesdays they are offering 40% off. This makes my favorite half mizithra and half meet sauce dinner only $5.99 and that includes bread, salad, iced tea, and spumoni. Yummy! http://www.osf.com/menu/annv-40Off-menu.pdf
· Free Warm. I have to thank Marnie for this one. We just had insulation installed in the crawl space of our previously completely un-insulated 1962 home. What a huge difference. You can go to the kitchen in the morning without slippers! Just call Jake Warner at 808-3270. It is a win-win as the rebate from the gas company covers the cost for the company, plus a little, and the company gets to keep their guys busy.
· Free stuff. Reuse-reduce-recycle or give it to someone who can. Both Craig’s List http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/zip/ and KSL Classifieds http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=231&cat=272 offer a place to pick up stuff for free. It is hit and miss and you have to be fast to get the good stuff, but I have found lots of things I want. Landscape rocks, firewood, canning jars, there was a picnic table we missed out on once. Just ignore the sob stories. At least half of them are fake.

Let me know if you have something to add to my list.

5 comments:

Amy and Mike said...

Woo Hoo for free/discount stuff. I love when that happens.

Mandos said...

Cheap or free is always good!

I wish Brian all the luck in finding a good job soon!

Holly said...

Some great ideas! I love it! Thanks for sharing... :)

Marnie said...

Okay, so I have started coupon shopping. I never thought I would, but on my last trip I saved more than I spent! Hurray. Also I am interested in coming to the seed swap with you. Not sure I can, but call if I can tag along.

Monica said...

So do you look at craigs list and ksl every day? There is also a web sit called pinchingyourpennies.com It gives you a list of all the best sales from all the grocery stores and then a list of cupons you can use to make it even cheaper.