Saturday, September 26, 2009

Opportunity?

It’s supposed to freeze Tuesday or Wednesday so it’s time to bring in all the peppers and tomatoes and start putting the garden to bed.


I am busy filling the freezer with stuffed green peppers- my favorite way to preserve them, tomato basil pasta sauce- tastes like summer and must be made with fresh from the garden tomatoes and basil. Latter I will be making Verde and if I can find pine nuts for a decent price, pesto. I will bring the green tomatoes in and can them as they ripen.

I love canning and preserving our garden. I get to think about how good the food will taste in winter when I am hungry for the sun and miss being outside. I feel nurturing, taking care of my family. I feel connected to the generations of women who have put up and put by. And I love the secure feeling of knowing that whatever else happens, we have cans of tomatoes.

I am really clinging to that security part this weekend.

Brian is now a full time job hunter. For those of you who were betting on which would happen first- quit, get fired, find a new job- they asked him to leave Friday.

We are both feeling relieved, hopeful and a bit scared.

I am really proud of him, he has worked for 6 months at a job that made him miserable in so many ways and made the best of it. This job was bad fit from the beginning, but as it was allowing us to pay the mortgage on the Team Schiele World Headquarters, so he put up with all sorts of $%#! and stuck it out.

Things may be crazy between now and whenever it is that he finds a job, but we are in it together and grateful that we have options an opportunities. And we are grateful for those stuffed peppers in the freezer.

7 comments:

Amy and Mike said...

It sounds like you have and will have some good stuff from your garden. It sounds yummy. Brian we are sorry to hear about you losing your job. I'm sure you are glad to be done with it, and we will keep you in our prayers in order for you to find your dream job.

Mandos said...

Well... I don't know if I should say Yeah or I'm sorry. Maybe both?

Good luck Brian finding a new job! I will keep you in my prayers that you will find a good job that will fit you perfectly! Love you both!

Holly said...

I can't believe it's gonna get cold this week...

Marnie said...

Brian, good luck with the job search. Have fun putting your garden to bed. I need to get out and do mine.

Mom in Orem said...

Beautifully written. I am proud of your garden too and very grateful for those green peppers. Brian hand in there. Good things are coming.

ScoundrelLV said...

What a blessing your garden is for you. I am sure you will enjoy the fruits of your labor this winter.
Good luck Brian. Finding a job is never fun, but I don't know which is worse being in a job you hate, or finding a new one. We are praying for you.

Monica said...

I'm happy that your garden did so good this year. You've inspired me to try. We know what it is like to find jobs hate them and loose them and look again. It's been our lot in life for a long time. It's not easy, but at least you are in it together.